Brian: Alabamy Bound

My experiences during my summer internship at UAB

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

DeSoto was here... or not.

Jeremey, Nate, and I took a trip south to DeSoto Cavern. I guess DeSoto was one of the first (European) people to explore here, but I don't think he actually saw the cave. The cave has a long history of use, first by the natives, then by various people, including confederates mining gunpowder and then ask a speakeasy during prohibition.

Now-a-days it's a tourist attraction. The tour wasn't quite worth the money ($15 or so, can't remember), but it was pretty cool. At the largest point it's 10 stories tall and a few hundred yards long. Half way through there was a light/water show that was pretty cheesy, but to top it off they played a recording of music with someone reciting genesis over it... at the end everything went dark and a cross lit up on the wall. But then again, we're in freakin' ALABAMA so what do you expect? I guess the best part of the cave was that is was pretty cool in there.

Afterwards we went to the gift shop and got some ice cream, and on the way back we stopped at a flea market, to get the authentic Alabama experience.







Available in the gift shop: let me know if I should pick one up for you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home