Brian: Alabamy Bound

My experiences during my summer internship at UAB

Monday, May 29, 2006

The Alabama Jazz Hall of Fame

This week I took a trip to the Alabama Jazz Hall of Fame, which is about 20 blocks from my dorm.There was a concert there with a group called JazzNova, which played mostly bossa novas and other latin jazz styles. The leader, who played sax, was pretty good, and I really enjoyed his sound. The rest of the group was ok, although the rhythm section didn't really mesh time-wise. Overall, it was an enjoyable concert, especially considering it was only 5 bucks. The first hour was a concert, but after intermission it was a jam where anyone could go up and play. Unfortunately, I didn't know that, so I didn't bring my sax. But they're having another one in a month, so hopefully I make it to that one as well.Some of the pictures are kind of blurry--I think I forgot to check the camera settings. Or I could just say I wanted that "artsy" look.The only really recognizable person in the museum portion was Lionel Hampton, who I guess spent some of his childhood here. Most of the other musicians were sidemen with larger groups, and even a few with Duke Ellington
Some very old saxophones:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home